02/16/2006. Thursday, 12:26
Actually I had 2 of them in the past 24 hours!
Work's been slow and the boss is away at a conference, so I didn't go into work yesterday. I had great plans for starting the process of organizing the attic AKA "My Big Mess", but as we were due for a severe winter storm, DH asked me to go to the market, etc., etc. And he let me sleep in until after 9AM! Wow! So off I go to run my errands, and by the time I finish all but 2 of the errands, it is past lunch time. And I'm driving right in front of the Dairy Queen - yes, we have 2 'real' Dairy Queens in town and 1 is open year round, while the other one is on the same schedule as all the other DQ knockoffs in the area. This was the one that is open year round - and there was a special on Blizzards! I swear that the car drove itself into that drive through without any help from me - I was just along for the ride. Of course, I am the one who ordered the extra large Cherry Chocolate Limited Time Special Blizzard flavor! Weight watchers be darned - I was hungry! LOL Then I parked my car, tuned to the classical music station and very slowly savored every bite, promising myself that I would make an extra trip to the gym after I went home and put away the groceries. However, by the time I got home I had the worst stomach ache you can imagine! And so, as I spent some meaningful time in the bathroom, reflecting on how awful I felt, it hit me! I have been betrayed by my body! I actually am happier and feel much better eating healthfully. My body prefers Weight Watchers! I went and took a nap in hopes that the healthy preference messages from my body would go away by the time I woke up, and I am sad to report that it didn't happen - I am going to have to stay with healthy eating thing. I feel much better today! Rats!
The other Ah-ha moment is actually sort of tied to the first one. I got a haircut Monday. I have one of those chin length bob haircuts and my hairdresser spends a lot of time getting the hair perfectly straight and rolled under. Sleek fashion magazine hair, straight part and everything. DH always looks at my hair after a cut and says, what did he do to your hair?!? Then he walks around muttering under his breath: "I don't know about that haircut". I used to wash it immediately to put an end to the muttering, but I've been a bit lazy lately and so didn't wash my hair until yesterday. This morning as I was getting ready for work and brushing my hair, I thought about how Dan manages to make my hair look longer but flatter, and the first time I wash and dry it after a haircut, it's even more wavy than usual and sort of rebellious - Just like the rest of me!
The connection to the DQ incident is that I have driven by that DQ weekly and haven't stopped for anything in months. I can't remember the last time I had anything but a cone when I did stop. But yesterday when I got the idea that DQ is "Forbidden" because I'm doing the WW plan, and I had to get a huge chocolate cherry ice cream thing that I wouldn't normally have eaten, my body said - "Are you nuts!?! I'm not going to deal with this stuff!" And promptly eliminated it! My hair does the same thing - Try to make it into fashion magazine hair with all the goop, and special brushes - First opportunity to escape all that, and I look as if I have twice the amount of hair as usual. Sort of like Hermoine Granger hair in the Harry Potter books! So the moral is that when I try to over-rule my "natural" self, the self wins! So all that stuff about listening to what your body wants - is true!
All I can say is that it's a darn good thing my 'self' enjoys stitching!