Yesterday was my birthday - the 22nd celebration of my 29th birthday to be exact. That in itself did not bother me - but here's what did. Until my mother and youngest sister called at 8PM, no one (yes, NO ONE other than the one person I told that the day was my birthday) wished me "happy birthday". Not DH, not my friend I work with, no one. As a matter of fact, until I told DH at bed time that he did not recognize my birthday (after his rant on why I was asking him about the book he misplaced, because he never does) he didn't get it. Not even after the 2 phone calls from my family. (My mom wished me a happy birthday tomorrow on the actual day). DH claims that he thought the 22nd was Thursday (today). He didn't forget the gift - he took me out last Saturday to choose my present (a very very nice bracelet) - but he forgot the day.
I'm not quite sure what my emotions on this are. Somewhere between disappointment, sadness, irritation, and loneliness. My sister asked me if DH had taken me out for dinner or gotten me a cake - No on both counts. Unfortunately, the only way I would get a birthday cake now would be if I made it for myself. DH doesn't think it's important... And he's never quite figured out that I am not like him.
I am irritated with myself that I'm feeling sorry for myself - after all, I am not in Iran or Iraq. I have a good home, loving husband and great friends. Yet, there's this little voice that whispers if DH is so loving, why didn't he say "Happy Birthday"? Why didn't my friends get me a card or call? I guess I'm feeling a bit like the wallpaper - taken for granted. I thought I was old enough to be past needing this recognition.
At least Mama Kitty is always glad to see me, especially now that she's nursing! Enough of the whining!
Happy Spring!