Friday, December 09, 2005

It's Winter!

West Michigan is such a pretty place in the winter - as long as one does not have to go anywhere or do anything. This morning we woke to an additional 8 inches of white stuff, and the snow plow guy apparently decided to sleep in this morning, as the drive was not plowed. I couldn't get the car backed out of the garage and turned to go down the drive until DH and I had shoveled the snow. That took care of any excess calories that I might have consumed in the past week!

Last night I learned that one of the ladies in EGA who had some fairly routine surgery to remove some suspected cancerous growths is in critical condition due to peritonitis. She is one of those poor souls that I marvel at, wondering how much can a single person bear? She has some sort of spinal problem which bends her over almost parallel to the floor, had a progressive case of MS and now this. I am reminded how fragile our existence on this earth really is, and how lucky I am to be reasonably healthy, able work and do pretty much what ever I want to. I don't know that I would bear the burdens that this lady does with as much grace and cheer as she shares with the world. She is a very accomplished stitcher and in that way brings a lot of beauty to this world. I pray that God holds her in the palm of His hand - more than that is up to His mercy.

This time of year, I look forward to being home, reading, stitching, making soup and hanging out with the cats. When I can't, I seem to do a lot of ordering of stitching supplies! Displacement of frustration, I guess!